Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Food For Thought: Dance Jobs

This is sort of a... random post I guess, but this is my blog and I'll post what I like! Anyways, these past two weeks I was lucky enough to work behind the scenes at a dance competition which to be honest wasn't really something I thought I'd ever do. I've been a dancer my whole life; danced in more recital than I can count, competed and have more trophies than there's room for, own more costumes than I could ever find use for. Being a dancer in college isn't really the same as being a dancer throughout elementary, middle, and high school. All of those years I was a competitive dance and now I'm more of a solid performer, honing in on my performance and technical skills. Neither is better, they're just different. But once I moved on to college, I'd figured that the competition part of my life was over, and while the competitive part is over, the being around the competitions surely is not.




The person who trained me from the time I was nine to eighteen now runs his very own dance competition and hired me to work two cities over the summer for nationals. (If you're unfamiliar with competitions in general, than this might be making no sense, and I totally get it, and I commend you for making it this far; but please don't feel guilty for X'ing out of here.) I got to be one of the stage managers and teach the young dancers from different studios choreography for an opening number to be performed during the final competition at the end of the week. It was so much more rewarding than I had ever anticipated.

Whilst it really was some of the most stressful times I've experienced in a while, oh my god, it really was worth it in the end. It really made me appreciate all of the people who had worked so hard behind the scenes throughout all of my time competing. And even more, it made me realize that there really are so many opportunities for me to work and stay active in the dance world. If I'm having a hard time performing, I know that there are tons of opportunities to help out young dancers do what they love, like so many people helped me.

I know this is so out of place for this blog, but it's mine and it's about me so I say it's okay. Have you guys had a job that sort of opened your eyes or made you thankful for someone or something from your past? Let me know in the comments down below, or say anything you feel needs saying!


No comments :

Post a Comment