Saturday, August 23, 2014

In Defense of the Selfie

Let's get real for a second. Selfies have taken the world by storm. Selfie was literally Oxford Dictionary's word of the year in 2013. We see them all over our social media; Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook being flooded by photos we take of ourselves. So why are people getting so bent out of shape when it comes to selfies? What's the problem with selfies?

Nothing. I think there's nothing wrong with selfies. I'll tell you why. There is so much negative energy floating around in the world, and especially in our media. Magazines say we aren't pretty enough or thin enough, that we'll look this much better if we change this about ourselves, and that if we only change ourselves then we can be better. To me, a selfie says, "Look at me. Look at me being happy with myself. I am so happy with the way I am that I am going to show you." What could be the matter with that? And yes, I understand that you might think it's reaching for attention and whatnot, but who cares if it is? I post a selfie because I am happy with myself and I want everyone to know.

And with that, I'll leave you with the most maddening song of the year.


No comments :

Post a Comment