Saturday, September 19, 2015

Back Into Books


I'll never forget the feeling I had the very first time I truly loved a book. J.K. Rowling changed my whole world when I started reading the Harry Potter books in grade three. I was totally sucked into the characters and the expansive world, as well as the page turning plot. I'd never been so invested in a group of characters in my life; but more than just making me love Potter, Rowling made me love reading.

At the time I began the series books 1-4 were available, but once I finished those stories I was forced to wait. That anticipation killed me and I itched to have a book in my hands, which is why I am so thankful for this series. Had I not hungered for more, I would have never picked up other books and branched towards other series. I especially loved Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events books.


Those books were such an interesting read and like Potter before them, I was hooked. Well, I was hooked until the very last book. The End was released in October of 2006 when I was a freshman in high school, and all of the new stressors and additional workload pulled me away from reading, which was such a bummer. I never finished that last book, and to have read twelve books prior and not know how the mystery of V.F.D. and the Baudelaire siblings played out has honestly weighed on me since.

Being out of school has allowed me to get back into reading and I honestly have never been so pleased to read again. I downloaded the thirteen novels onto my Nook and have been plowing through the pages over the last few months. Now that I'm traveling in and out of Manhattan by train most weeks, I've got tons of time to click through these generally short but enthralling stories.

Now onto number 8, The Hostile Hospital, I remember not only what I enjoyed so much about reading these stories but books in general. School and work can sometimes really require all of your focus, but jumping back into this series has brought back the itch that only completing chapters can scratch. I've now got a list of what series to make my way into next and can't wait to keep reading on.

And now I'll leave you with a question; has there been a book or series of books that lit your fire for stories? Or maybe you've just not found something that suited you? Let me know in the comments down below!

Wishing you all a great week!

No comments :

Post a Comment